Session 1: Introduction and locating Odisha
- Introduction to Miriam Hyman and the Miriam’s Vision resource
- Locating India / Odisha on a map
Miriam’s Vision: A Response to the 2005 London Bombings is the Hyman family’s way of trying to help you to create a safer, more inclusive society in response to what happened to Miriam.
- To make links between Miriam, her story and the location of Odisha
- To locate India and Odisha on a map
- To learn about the developmental issues that India has
- Students will understand the wider purpose of their study with respect to the key message above
- Students will be able to locate Asia, India and Odisha
- Students will create a fact file about Odisha
In this session, students use maps to locate India within Asia and locate and find out about the region of Odisha using the activity and suggested resources.
MV Resource 0 Info for Students.pdf is a single page summary of Miriam's Vision and its aims. Print and distribute a copy to each student. Read together and discuss.
- Show Miriam's Story videos 1 to 4 of 4. Elicit responses from students about the Miriam Hyman Children’s Eye Care Centre and introduce its location, Odisha, as the focus of your Geographical enquiry for this module.
- Now show Geography resource 1.1 Intro Powerpoint to recap the key points of Miriam’s Story and to introduce the linked focus of your Geographical enquiry.
- For your own reference you can access detailed official background information here: https://pc.odisha.gov.in/Download/Economic_Survey_2017-18.pdf The Odisha Economic Survey 2017-18 (the most recent available online as of April 2020)
- Explain that in groups, students are going to explore the region of Odisha in India to create a fact file. You may want to differentiate by format (visual display, electronic presentation, or even a short film) about the region, its physical features, natural resources, economic activity, people and culture.
- Split students into (mixed ability) groups and provide them with printed copies of MV Geography resource 1.2 Odisha maps (1 per group) and MV Geography Resource 1.3 Caste stats (1 per group) and access to the internet if possible, and any secondary resources available.
- N.B. As the name of the state was only changed in 2012 many online references use the previous name so students may need to use "Orissa" as well as "Odisha’"as an online search term
Suggested websites for student research:
Share group fact files in a class discussion.
- What did they find out?
- Was there anything particularly interesting, surprising or inspiring?
- End by referring to the theme, Different Backgrounds, Common Ground. Consider similarities and differences between Odisha and your own region.
List the physical and human geographical similarities and differences between Odisha and your region in a table. Examples: Both are populated; the sizes of the population are different. Both have industries; the types of industry may have similarities and differences.